Rustic Berry Paraguayo Galette with Rhubarb ( gluten free, vegan )
The great thing about baking a galette is that the more rustic it looks the more charming it is. The simple and rough , unsophisticated look of a galette makes every one of them a unique piece of beauty.
Perfection spoils a galette and that’s the trick of it. Every baker add their own finger prints on the dough. Galette is rustic and elegant at the same time which only adds the attraction of this very much loved pastry.
Galette is the perfect summer dessert with all the fruits and berries in it.
You don’t have to spend ages in the kitchen or try to be the perfect pastry chef but you get to be creative and laid-back in a positive way.
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
6 tbsp buckwheat flour
6 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp coconut oil ( chilled )
4 tbsp butter ( chilled, for vegan version use coconut oil only )
3 tbsp ice cold water
3 tbsp plantbased sour cream or youghurt
– for sweet galette( s) add 1 -( 3 ) tsp erythritol or coconut sugar in the dough.
This dough makes 3 medium size galettes
- mix the dry ingredients
- add the oil ( and butter )
- cut the oil ( and butter ) into the dry ingredients using pastry cutter or just fingers
- mix until forms a dough
- cut the dough into 2-3 pieces ( depending what size of galettes you wanna make )
- refrigerate the dough for an hour ( optional )
- pat the dough pieces flat and roll the dough into circles
- add the filling ( leave 1 1/2 inches clear around the edgeof the dough. Then fold the edges toward the center.
- brush the edges with plant based milk ( or with an egg )
- bake at 180 C for 20-30 min depending on your oven. It’s ready when the pastry looks nice golden brown.
FILLING FOR 1 SWEET GALETTE
- 1 1/2 cup sliced paraguayos and rhubarb, blueberries, raspberries
- 2 tsp tapioca starch ( or potato starch )
- 2 tsp erythritol or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
Just mix everything together nicely.
FILLING OPTIONS FOR SAVORY GALETTES
- mushroom of choice, spring onion or leek, cream cheese ( I used my herb & garlic vegan cream cheese ), salt , pepper, garlic, fresh thyme, extra virgin olive oil
- thin sweet potato slices, chèvre ( you can use any dairyfree cheese that has a sour and tangy taste if you prefer making this vegan ), salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, extra virgin olive oil
As you see from my pictures I made different kinds of galettes just to give you some more inspiration. I used quite traditional fillings which work every time but I encourage you to try different combinations using your own favorite ingredients. Just take a deep look at your fridge and Im sure you are gonna find some absolute gems there!
Remember. Go with the flow. You never know what masterpieces you end up creating. There’s a little kitchen genius hiding in every one of us! Go find it!